Award Winning ‘Beachfront Living’ – The Process
Introducing the award winning “Beachfront Living” home we built in lovable Lantzville, British Columbia on the iconic Vancouver Island.
This is a property that has gone on quite a journey, so enjoy this read to understand the process of how it went from being a resort office & home in the 1970’s to becoming the “Best Single Family New Home Under 3,000 sq. ft” at the 2019 Vancouver Island Building Excellence Awards (VIBE Awards) put on by the Canadian Home Builders Association – Vancouver Island (CHBA-VI).
This property was purchased by a young professional family looking to fulfill their dream of raising their family at the waters edge with activities and leisure instead of just gazing at it from their previous home where the beach was just a view and not accessible. The original plan upon purchasing the lot was to renovate the kitchen of the beachfront home in order to make it more of an open living concept for their family.
Upon starting the demolition work with Pheasant Hill Homes, major issues with the original home revealed themselves: sagging roof rafters, rotted and sub-standard framing, foundation cracks, and moisture seeping in around the foundations all served to indicate that investing significantly in rebuilding and renovating the existing structure would just not be cost effective. The hard conversation with our clients had to happen where we quantified whether it was worth fixing these major issues, or tearing it down and starting fresh with a new home build on this fantastic property, and that is what happened. The family said goodbye to the blue toilet and tub, low ceilings, wood paneling, and the dated cottage kitchen and embraced a custom home built just for their family’s needs, incorporating their personal style, and maximizing the spectacular views from every room of their house of Nanoose Bay.
Site abatement (cleaning out the hazardous material), and demolition began.
New foundation was laid on a footprint that was very similar to the original homestead began, including insulated concrete.
Framing insulation and interior finishing was up next!
Exterior finshing and landscaping finalizes the looks for the neighbours
Standout features that we love about this modern 2 story flat roof west coast contemporary design are:
- Exterior longboard metal panels that mimic real wood and make a contemporary statement while being exceptionally low maintenance
- The home is shallow and wide in order to maximize waterfront views and natural lighting throughout this home
- Oversized tilt and glide glass sliding doors which create a seamless indoor outdoor living space with the beachfront patio
- Stained polished concrete floor which blends the beach feel from outside to inside and is extremely durable
- Custom timber stairs with glass and metal railings
- Mudroom with individual cubies and custom wood shelving and bench seat
- Clerestory windows in living room add bonus light and sophistication
- Tucked away pantry and prep area
- Open air entry flooded with light from expansive windows up to the soaring ceiling
- Striking contemporary kitchen with barista nook
Enjoy a full tour of this home by CLICKING HERE. For now, here’s a teaser pic.